Faculty of Geodesy University of Zagreb
Preddiplomski studij - Bachelor Study
Bachelor study programme of Geodesy and Geoinforamtics
Bachelor university degree study programme of Geodesy and Geoinformatics lasting 3 years and providing the opportunity to earn 180 ECTS points and vocational degree of Bachelor (baccalaureus) of Engineering in Geodesy and Geoinformatics (univ. bacc. ing. geod. et geoinf.) has been performed at the Faculty of Geodesy, University in Zagreb from the academic year 2005/06. In academic year 2014/15. changes less than 20% are approved, and from academic year 2015/16. this new program is performed. Changes are mainly reflected in wider choice of elective courses.
During six terms, students are provided with basic knowledge and skills in the field of study programme involving the establishment of geodetic networks, geodetic measurements, processing and visualisation of thus obtained data, land information and geoinformation system management. The students may select themselves to acquire other skills within the scope of optional subjects. They are offered to expand their knowledge in informatics, mathematics, foreign languages, business communication and management, geoinformation management, geodetic astronomy and cartography. In the fifth term, students are obliged to participate in the professional practice organised by the Faculty. During the studies, students learn how to work with general and specialized programme tools that they use in their preparation of project tasks and in exercises. By the end of the studies, students will have the skills needed for successful participation in the activities of geodetic companies and other institutions relying in their business processes on spatial data, especially on the official data from cadastral and land registry records. After passing all examinations and meeting other obligations prescribed in the official programme, and after passing the final examination in three subjects, Bachelors of Engineering in Geodesy and Geoinformatics acquire the following competences:
Knowledge and understanding
- Understand the role of geodesy, geoinformatics and spatial data in modern world, demonstrate competences in measuring systems, methods and technologies of measurement and spatial data collection.
- Demonstrate competences in theoretical principles, procedures of computing and visualising the surveying data.
- Demonstrate competences in real estate registers and interests in real estates, understand land development measures and methods of land evaluation.
- Demonstrate competences in regulations and administrative framework important for geodesy and geoinformatics, the regulations related to copy right, publishing and exchange of spatial data.
- Understand mathematical methods and physical laws applied in geodesy and geoinformatics.
Applying knowledge and understanding
- Apply knowledge of mathematics and physics for the purpose of recognizing, formulating and solving of problems in the field of geodesy and geoinformatics.
- Handle geodetic instruments and appropriate measuring equipment properly, and perform geodetic measurements.
- Solve practical tasks in surveying, spatial data collection, real estate evaluation and management.
- Establish geodetic networks needed in surveying and stakeout in order to provide the required quality of the works performed in certain space.
- Prepare geodetic documents needed to establish and maintain cadastral records and land registry, as well as the documents for engineering works.
- Make plans, maps and related presentations using modern methods and technologies on the basis of measured data and other sources.
- Determine and interpret the size, properties and relations of objects in space on the basis of measured data, spatial databases, plans and maps.
- Maintain topographic, cartographic, maritime and navigation, and land information systems, integrate and visualise spatial information.
- Use information technology in solving geodetic and geoinformation tasks.
- Exercise appropriate judgements on the basis of performed calculation processing and interpretation of data obtained by means of surveying and its results.
- Recognise problems and tasks in the application of geodetic and geoinformation principles and methods, and select proper procedures for their solution.
- Prepare official public documents, reports, graphic and cartographic presentations using the surveying results related to objects in space.
- Communicate the results obtained by means of geodesy and geoinformation to clients and experts of geodetic and other related professions.
Learning and ethical skills
- Keep pace with and adopt new technological achievements in the field of surveying, geoinformation systems and services based on the position, and the changes in regulations, norms and standards.
- Take responsibility for continuing academic development in the field of geodesy and geoinformatics, or related disciplines, and for the development of interest in lifelong learning and further professional education.
Continuous monitoring and evaluation of knowledge and skills of students is applied in all teaching activities. Every activity of continuous knowledge monitoring (at least 2 mid-term exams) and skills provides a certain number of points. A student earning a sufficient number of points during a semester earns the final grade normally obtained at the examination or a part of it. Students who do not earn a number of points sufficient for obtaining a passing grade (2), must sit for an exam, and then the final grade depends on the results obtained in theoretical and practical part of the exam. Grading scale: excellent (5), very good (4), good (3), sufficient (2). some subjects are not graded. It is only defined that all obligations have been fulfilled, and it is marked with the sing “+” in the transcript of records.
After completing the Bachelor study programme of geodesy and geoinformatics, a student is eligible to continue his/her studies at the Master study programme of geodesy and geoinformatics at the Faculty of Geodesy, University in Zagreb. The admission criteria for other study programme in other areas are defined by the higher education institution organising these study programmes.
The holder of this qualification is entitled to use a protected academic title of Bachelor (baccalaureus) of Engineering in Geodesy and Geoinformatics (univ. bacc. ing. geod. et. geoinf.) and to perform professional tasks in the field related to the title granted. Therefore, the study programme qualifies the candidates to perform the following jobs: surveyor, GIS-assistant, cadastral surveyor, photogrammetrist, cartographer and hydrographer, and makes them competent to follow technological changes in geodesy and geoinformatics.
Accredited by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports to perform undergraduate university degree study programme of Geodesy and Geoinformatics.
The curriculum is updated every academic year and published on ISVU-websites.
Send your ideas or suggestion for the improvement of information about the Bachelor study programme
Content maintained by: Vice-Dean for academic and student affairs